Long time no post, I know. It's been crazy busy. Not an excuse but that's the reality of a full time worker these days.
Right, ceiling colors. Not long ago I went to a friends house and in his home he had painted one of the walls black. I looked up and I noticed that he had also painted his ceiling black. It was so cozy, intimate and infinite.
I had always assumed that painting in a dark color would shrink a space, however I was pleasantly surprised to see that that wasn't the case. Painting the ceiling a dark color gave the ceiling an open sky look. After all, the night sky is black but it has never felt like it was closing me in. I loved the idea! I also realized that painting a wall in a dark color, especially black, still manages to reflect light and can still be bright, depending on your home decor.
Usually paining the ceiling white, is to let it get lost and to not let it be the centre of your attention. After all, decorating your home can cost a fortune, so painting your ceiling a light color allows for the home decor to pop out against it.
While painting the ceiling a darker color can make it feel lower, it does cause that intimate cozy feeling. I realized that this is quite common in Japanese restaurants. Personally, I love the closed in cozy feeling. It is a personal choice after all.
The other design idea I saw was having a ceiling with wooden panels. I went to an award winning architecturally designed holiday home and they had wooden panels on the walls and on the ceiling. I realized that having the panels on all side walls and ceiling made the space feel much smaller. However having it only on the ceiling would surely open the space more, which was proven when another room did have the wooden ceiling panels but white walls.
I love it all, but it is up to you on how you want your home to feel. Your home should induce a feeling when you or others are there. What do you want your home to portray? Openness? Cozy? Traditional? Contemporary? So many different ideas are out there, it all depends on what you want.
I have pasted in a few examples down below. Hope you like them.
My love,
Sara



(all images were sourced from Pinterest)
No comments:
Post a Comment